Have you ever wondered why grown up people happily share animation clips and comic strip online? Animation clips appeals to the lighter side of adult nature and since laughter is a fun thing to do then comic strips create the atmosphere of satirical humor for everyone.
In Nigeria for example a comedian named ‘Ajebo’ spotted the gap in animation industry and went straight for it. As at this moment he has over 4 million collective views on youtube, he has nearly one million followers on his social media pages and recently pioneered the first cartoon/stand-up comedy night that sold out in Nigeria.
Watch Ajebo clip below
Africagag a comic strip page has nearly seven hundred followers on Facebook alone.
If you are looking for a niche that can constantly earn you Google adsense and other adverts revenue, then look no further than animation and comic strip niche.
Why animation and comic strip niche you might ask? It generates wildfire social media following due to rapid shares and it is a very easy way to tell stories even if you are not that great a writer, there are also other reasons why you should tap into this evergreen niche. I will share the reasons below.
In this article you will learn
- What makes a comic niche so easy to accept by people
- Skills needed to begin a comic niche(And where to learn it)
- Where to access free software for comic creation such as 2D & 3D comics
- Where to learn video animation for free and where to download free animation film maker
- How to monetize your blog & lot more
What Makes A Cartoon Niche So Easy To Accept By People?
Aside the fact that people want to laugh and have fun there is the storytelling side of cartoon that makes people go wild for it.
You can say any story with cartoon. It is psychologically proven that humans’ love a good story and if you want to capture their attention make the story resonate with them in a satirical way or in any way you deem fit.
Skills Needed to Begin A Comic Niche (And where to learn it)
- Drawing skills : Of course this is a given because comic strips are drawings. There are youtube videos that show a beginner how to do just that. See Video below
- Color Combination Skill : Yes you can do your comic strips in black and white, but learning how to combine colors to create visual appeal is a great skill to have as a comic drawer. You can learn a thing or two about coloring for comic at Zen Pencils.
- Storytelling Skills: Having a comic blog is no excuse to ignore storytelling, this is because your story is what leaves a lasting impression of your comic in audience mind. Do not worry if this skill is not your forte because you can learn it at content marketing institute .
Free Softwares For Comic Creation
You can draw your comic strips with pen and paper then transfer it to your laptop using a good scanner. However if you feel using a software is more convenient for you, then there are free software available for both 2D cartoon drawing and 3D cartoon drawing.
Free Softwares for 2D Cartoon drawing
- Pencil2D: Pencil2D is an animation/drawing software for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux. It lets you create hand drawn cartoon using both bitmap and vector graphics. It is also an open source software.
- GIMP: GIMP is a cross-platform image editor available for GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows and more operating systems. It is a place to draw in 2d, change your source code and do just what you like with your drawing.
- Synfig: This is also an open source 2D animation software.
- Creatoon: Check creatoon to download software that allows you to create 2D cut-out animations and add various special effects to it.
Software For 3D Cartoon Drawing.
- Clara: This is a full-featured cloud-based 3D modeling, animation and rendering software tool that you can use straight from any web browser. With this software you can make complex 3D models, create beautiful photo-realistic cartoons, and share as soon as you are done.
- Blender : I recently downloaded this software and men I really love it because it is a 3D animation tool that is open source and free to use as you wish offline. Some of its unique features includes using it for modeling, rigging, animation, simulation, rendering, compositing and motion tracking, even video editing and game creation.
- Daz : From the home page of Daz you will fall in love with 3D animation. It is a powerful and free 3D animation creation software tool that is very easy to use because of its feature and functionality. A novice can begin drawing with the same ease as a pro on this site.
Now that you know where to learn 2D animation drawing and 3D animation drawing, let us proceed.
Let us imagine you have your first cartoon ready, what should you do next?
On your pages begin to tag your friends with your comic until you get more people re-sharing it and following you(Make sure your work has your watermarked link on it) .
When you have amassed up to 10,000 followers this is now time for you to start a blog on your comic strip. But before I go into details about that let me share places you can go to learn video animation(That is if you want to branch into this genre as well)
Publicizing your social media pages in preparation for your blog is easy because all you just need to do is to approach various blogs with cartoon strip/animation about any content based on their niche.The watermark on your work will pull their audience to your social media pages.A guest blogger does not need to be a writer alone, a cartoonist with great content can also earn guest spots in blogs
2 Places To Learn Video Animation For Free
- Bloop animation : On this website you will learn everything about video animation while also having access to an interactive community, videos and e-books that will turn you into an animation video maker in a month if you are really serious.
- The Virtual Instructor : On this site you will get free animation e-books for offline uses and on their online courses you will learn the concepts of animation that can make you highly skilled in making cartoons like a pro within a month.
Where To Download Free Video Animation software
- Alice : This software is an innovative 3D programming environment that makes it easy to create an animation for telling a story, playing an interactive game, or a video to share on the web.
- Web Cartoon Maker : This is a Desktop Edition of Web Cartoon Maker. It uses simple C++ scripts to produce high quality animated cartoons. Programming cartoons is very easy using characters, images and sounds from online library (free clip art) and your hard drive. You can move, resize, rotate and do other things with objects and character’s pieces. Characters can walk, talk and wink. Complete movies with sound tracks and titles can be produced and exported in AVI format.
Now back to hosting your animation blog.
Let us say you have finished learning all you need to know about comic strip and animation, it is time to create Youtube page for your videos and a blog for your animation and comic strip.
You need a unique domain name for your comic/animation so go to lean domain search type your niche keyword or idea. On lean domain search you will see thousands of domain ideas you can choose from. As a matter of fact the site shows you which domain and social media account is available according to your keyword entry.
See the best place to host your blog and see the video below on how to use WordPress CMS(The best) to create a blog in 5 minutes. If you do not want to watch the video see the article on how to create a wordpress site in 5 minutes.
5 Ways To Monetize Your Animation/Comic Strip Blog
- Google Adsense – Join google adsense programs because it is a way to monetize your blog and youtube video.
- Affiliate Marketing – The easy thing about animation/comic blogging is that it appeals to almost everyone and you can join various affiliate programs based on the central theme of your cartoons.
- Selling T-Shirts – You can sell t-shirts on your site that has various cartoon characters and words.
- Cartoon Advertising Creation: You can make cartoons that talk about various brands in the story line so that you will get paid for promoting those brands.
- Comic Books and Novelty Sales: You can create comics books and novelty items for sale as well as promotion of your brand.
Now that you have your website running and making money, it will be easier to always hire content writers on fiver or upwork to help you create more engaging stories that you will run on your comic slips or animation videos.